Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Normality is overrated


IF everyone went by "Never judge a book by its cover" I believe the world would be so much better off. I don't enjoy the looks I get when I walk around a public place with Ellie. Yes I am a young mom. But it wasn't that long ago that women were having babies at the age of 19. Or younger. It's not like it doesn't go on today in different countries around the world. I've had people call me all kinds of names because they assumed that because I already have a child somehow in their eyes it means I MUST have slept around with everyone. News flash people. I didn't. Crazy to comprehend I know.

I've even been asked if it's hard for me not to have a "normal" 20 year old life style. What is a 20 year old NORMAL life style? What in this world today IS considered "normal"? Do I have times where I think where would I be if I wasn't a mom or wife? Absolutely. What sane mom hasn't thought that. But even though I would probably be almost finished with my Vet Tech degree by now and saving up to buy a horse, I wouldn't trade my life for anything else. I haven't had anything that has made me more happy then my child. She is everything to me. This life I lead is my "normal" life. I couldn't imagine my life without her in it.




It is very sad to me when people get caught up in the little things about someone else and base their entire judgement around that. I will admit I have done it before to someone without actually knowing them. It really takes a human to be on the other side of that judgement pole to really understand what it feels like. It's not a good feeling. I know it's very easy to place a judgement on someone else, I still struggle with it everyday.

The challenge I give to you all that reads this is this (I will do this too): when your out and about this week and if you come across a person who may not fit the "normality mold", instead of making a judgement call of any kind (silent or verbal) try putting yourself in their shoes and imagine what they could be feeling or not feeling. Make them feel that their important even its a passing smile at them. It may make their day.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Janessa! Go you for being yourself and being a proud mother, and go you for being kind to others. I definitely try and be conscious of this and sure I'm not perfect, but I think I am happier because of the non bias sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca! I just remember how I was like in high school, and how I treated people and I realized being a mother: What if someone said that or did that to my daughter? I would be heartbroken for her. Life is just too short to be rude to people you know? I'm definitely happier because of the non bias too!

    ReplyDelete